Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sense of Hearing Day 2 (March 12)

Playing with wind chimes
For the past couple of months, I've started teaching Z the Five Senses. We started with the sense of sight but since I don't have my files for the sense of sight I'm going to share the sense of hearing first. I had to search for appropriate activities to do with Z. The following activities can be done using everyday items at home. I had to look for other materials online that I used for this lesson like a copy of "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle and sound effects on YouTube.

If you want some copy of the files for the sense of hearing activities, let me know. My files are just simple, I still have limited resources and experience in making my materials look cool, hahaha! Still, if you want them feel free to send me a message. I will be posting a PDF copy of the sound safari checklist pretty soon and will be including a zip file of the sound effects, though you can search for the sounds online.
Listening to the sound effects of a yelping peacock.

For the sense of hearing, we started reading "Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?" by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle. Here, Z was able to listen to animal sounds that were found in the book. She wanted to retell the story to me and my husband. Z also requested to have the sound effects while she tells the story.


We also had a "sound mission" activity wherein she would listen to different sound effects and go through her checklist to see which object/thing made that particular sound. There were coins dropping, ball bouncing, baby crying, horse galloping and the thunder sound which she pronounces as "funder". hahaha!


She took interest in cooking too, I believe it is because of Disney's "Ratatouille". She's been watching it many times now. So, I started to include cooking as a special activity in our study time. For day-2, we made egg salad sandwich. We have done this before when we were still in Cavite and she had a classmate back then. We just did it again since we have to work with ingredients that we already have at home. 

Spending time with your child should not be expensive. I hope that the things I share here would also inspire mommies, child carers, cool aunts and daddies out there to spend some quality and educational time with their children.





No comments:

Post a Comment