Monday, March 17, 2014

Sense of Hearing

Z likes exploring different kinds of sounds. So, she had fun doing the activities in this lesson.

I prepared activities such as:
- Guessing the sound in the mystery bag
- Matching sounds using plastic eggs
- Reading “Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you Hear?” by Bill Martin, Jr. and Eric Carle

We also did some fine motor activities. Z still needs to improve on the use of her small muscles – muscles in her fingers and that is why I try to incorporate some activities to strengthen those muscles.

I had her peel off some tape from her table. I drew some shapes using different colored markers on the tapes. She was able to complete the activity. The thing here though is I should have made a few...it is kind of a low-energy activity so Z got easily bored. So, limit the activity. You can also use stickers if you have them, especially those with the smiley faces, colorful ones or any low-cost stickers.

Aside from lessons on the sense of hearing, we also took the time to practice literacy. I prepared a felt board and its pieces for her. She enjoys telling stories with it. I have felt board pieces on “The Three Little Pigs”, “Little Red Riding Hood”, and “Humpty Dumpty”.

MYSTERY BAG: I let her guess some sounds that were coming from our mystery bag. We call the bag “Mr. Bag”. So, there were different sound makers inside like a baby rattle, small trumpet, a clapper (which we bought from a candy store), a tambourine, and her toy camera that makes different sounds whenever you click it. These materials were just around the house so be creative and look for toys and other stuff that would make sounds.

MATCHING SOUNDS: We explored sounds coming from plastic eggs. The eggs contained buttons, rice, and 10-cent coins.  We did not have a lot of materials available so I only made 2 pairs for each. She had fun finding the pairs…but she had way too much fun and decided to crack the eggs! I was not able to attach tape because I thought I can handle it and not let her crack the eggs. I did not know what I was thinking! And after a few minutes, the eggs exploded and rice was everywhere! I did not use a lot of uncooked rice because I don’t want to indirectly teach Z to waste food. I had to end the activity as calmly as possible!

There are a lot of things to explore and it can be overwhelming which to do first. Find out what your child is interested about and you can start from there. If your child is interested about cars, do activities that involves learning about different kinds of transportation.

For me, since Z is not enrolled in a preschool program, I had to start from the obvious lesson..."about myself"...I call this unit "Marvelous Me". More activities to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment